CAULIFLOWER SOUP (Creme Du Barry)
1 Tsp. canola oil
1 Tsp. unsalted butter (optional)
2 Leeks, white parts only, well washed and chopped
1 Large head cauliflower, broken into florets
1 Medium (Yukon Gold) potato, cubed
6 Cups white chicken stock (fat free)
Salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste (optional)
1/2 Cup 1% low-fat milk (optional)
Parsley for garnish
1. Combine the oil and butter in a large saute pan, warm over medium low heat.
2. Add leeks, stirring frequently, allow them to cook slowly for 10 minutes. Do not brown.
3. Transfer cooked leeks to a large soup pot, add the stock, cauliflower, and potato cubes. Season with salt and ground white pepper. Season with salt and ground white pepper.
4. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
5. Transfer to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
6. Transfer to a clean soup pot and warm over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning.
7. If soup is too thick, thin with milk or stock.
8. Garnish with parsley, serve hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts: Servings 4. Per serving: 144 calories; 4 grams fat; 16 milligrams cholesterol
Nutrition facts will differ depending on optional ingredients used.